The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service, KUCCPS, has opened the portal for revision of course choices by 2019 KCSE candidates.
The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) is a State Corporation established under the Universities Act, 2012 to coordinate the placement of Government-sponsored students to universities and colleges; disseminate information on available programmes, their costs and areas of study prioritized by the Government; collect and retain data relating to university and college placement; develop career guidance programmes for the benefit of students; and advise the Government on matters relating to university and college student placement.
For more information, send email inquiries to [email protected] or call 0205137400, 0723954927 or 0734879662.
Get details on how to revise your choices in the guide below:
PLACEMENT OF THE 2020 KCSE COHORT TO UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES
Pursuant to its Mandate as provided for in the Universities Act, 2012, Section 56 (1) (a), the Placement Board, during a meeting held today, February 17, 2020, has considered the placement of the 2019 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination candidates to Universities and Colleges. The Board observed the following:
2019 KCSE Performance
A total of 688,928 students qualified for placement to tertiary institutions at various levels under Government sponsorship. Of these, 125,449 attained a mean grade of C+ and above, thus qualifying to join local universities. Another 563,479 scored between C and E and therefore qualified for placement to Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions.
Universities have declared a capacity of 193,878, which is enough to absorb all those who met the minimum requirement for admission to Degree programmes and are willing to pursue courses in Universities.
In addition, the State Department of Vocational and Technical Training has provided a capacity of 350,000 in the TVET institutions that are under the Ministry of Education. The capacity is enough to absorb 62% of the candidates who qualified for TVET. The Board noted that there are several other TVET institutions offering training opportunities where the remaining 38 % can be absorbed.
The Placement Board resolved that all the 2019 KCSE candidates who scored a mean grade of C+ and above will be given an opportunity for placement to universities and TVET institutions, while all those who scored C and below will be given an opportunity to apply for placement to TVET institutions.
Pursuant to this, the online placement system has today, Monday, February 17, 2020, opened for application and revision of choices and will close on Monday, March 9, 2020 at 5.00 pm.
Application Support to Applicants
From Monday, February 24 to Saturday, February 29, 2020, the Placement Service will set up desks in the following institutions to advise and support applicants.
- Baringo Technical College- Baringo County
- Bomet University College- Bomet County
- Kibabii University- Bungoma
- University of Embu- Embu
- Tom Mboya University College- Homa Bay
- Uhuru Vocational Training College- Isiolo
- Umma University- Kajiado
- Sigalagala National Polytechnic- Kakamega
- Kenya Highlands Evangelical University- Kericho
- Kabete National Polytechnic- Kiambu
- Pwani University- Kilifi
- Kisii National Polytechnic- Kisii
- Kisumu National Polytechnic- Kisumu
- Kenya Water Institute- Kitui
- Laikipia North Technical and Vocational College- Laikipia
- Machakos University of Technology- Machakos
- Wote Technical Training Institute- Makueni
- Laisamis Technical and Vocational College- Marsabit
- Meru National Polytechnic- Meru
- Siala Technical Training Institute- Migori
- Kenya Coast National Polytechnic- Mombasa
- Rift Valley Institute of Science and Technology- Nakuru
- Maasai Mara University- Narok
- Ol’lessos Technical Training Institute- Nandi
- Nyandarua Institute of Technology- Nyandarua
- Nyeri National Polytechnic- Nyeri
- Laikipia University, Maralal Campus- Samburu
- Siaya Institute of Technology- Siaya
- Taita Taveta University- Taita Taveta
- Kitale National Polytechnic- Trans Nzoia
- Turkana University College- Turkana
- Eldoret National Polytechnic- Uasin Gishu
These support services will remain available throughout the application period at the Placement Service offices at the ACK Garden House (Ground Floor) on 1st Ngong Avenue, off Ngong Road, in Community Area and at Huduma Centres located in Mombasa, Nyeri, Eldoret, Nakuru, Garissa, Kakamega, Kisumu, Meru, Kitui, and Nairobi (Makadara and GPO).
More information on the application process, available programmes, universities and colleges, previous cut-off points and applicants’ cluster points is accessible through the Placement Service website http://www.kuccps.ac.ke.
All applicants are advised to observe the application deadline. All applications must be submitted online through the KUCCPS Students Portal, students.kuccps.net.
Late applications will not be accepted.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING/ REVISING YOUR COURSE CHOICES
Here is the simplified guide on how to apply for placement into a tertiary institution through the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service:
KUCCPS Application Guidelines and procedure for the 2020/2021 Academic year.
- To apply, log onto the Student’s Portal at https://students.kuccps.net/sing your KCSE Index Number and KCSE Year. Use your Birth Certificate Number/KCPE Index Number as the Password.
- All programmes have minimum subject requirements. You will only be able to apply for a course whose minimum requirements you meet, but the selection will be determined by the overall performance and the available capacity.
- You may view the available programmes and their requirements by clicking the Programmes tab in the portal. You can also search for courses by institution, using the Institutions tab.
- As you select the programmes, you may move the ones that interest you into the Course Basket. This will enable you to work with a shorter list when preparing your final list of courses to apply for.
- Once you have settled on your preferred courses, you will only be required to enter the Programme Codes.
- To apply, use the Application/Revision tab to enter the Programme Codes.
- After confirming that the Programme Codes entered are for the courses you would like to apply for, please submit and follow the application fee payment instructions.
- An application processing fee is charged as follows:
- Students applying for the first time – Ksh 1,500
- Students revising their choices submitted in school – Ksh1,000
- The placement processing fee should be paid after you have selected courses.
- You are advised to keep your transaction code safely. It will be required before you make any subsequent changes to your application.
How to Pay for KUCCPS 2020/2021,KUCCPS Business number
- Go to your Lipa na M-PESA Menu
- Select Pay Bill
- Enter Business Number 820201
- For the Account Number, enter your KCSE Year and KCSE Index Number (no space)
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send.
The Placement Procedure
Students placement to institutions of higher learning occurs in four (4) phases, namely:
Stage 1: KUCCPS School/Centre Application
The School/Centre application phase occurs between October and December. All candidates should be encouraged to apply and can select for four levels. However they should make choices for programmes they are only interested in pursuing. No program is mandatory.
Stage 2: KUCCPS first revision
First revision for degree and diploma choices will be on dates to be announced by placement service after the release of KCSE results.
Stage 3: KUCCPS second revision
Candidates who will not have qualified on competitive selection for any of their preferred choices during the first round of selection will be given a chance to do second revision by selecting courses with unfilled capacities.
Stage 4: Placement to any Programme.
Any applicant who fails to qualify for their choices but meet the cut off points for placement may be offered any course with unfilled capacities taking into account the minimum requirements for admission.
How to Log onto the KUCCPS Portal
- Access the Student’s login portal by using the address: https://students.kuccps.net/login/
- Enter your 2019 KCSE index number, KCSE year (2019) and your password ( Use Your Birth Certificate No. / KCPE Index No (as used in KCSE Exam Registration) as your Initial Password).
How to download Various resources/ Guides from the KUCCPS portal:
Visit the KUCCPS resources download page at https://students.kuccps.net/downloads/ To download various resources resources for the 2020/2021 Academic year. The following resources are available for download:
- The Principal’s manual
- Degree Programmes Cutoff
- Diploma Programme Codes
- Craft Programme Codes
- Artisan Programmes Codes
- Degree Cluster Document
Important kuccps links:
- All TSC services online portals and how to log in
- TSC TPAD data upload deadline
- Complete guide to the new TSC TPAD portal
- TSC: Full details on the newly established grades for teachers
- TSC: Designation codes for all teacher job groups
- TSC Grades and qualifications/ requirements for various administrative positions in schools
- TSC: Details on the current all 36 Teacher job groups/ grades
- TSC: Requirements, appointment and responsibilities of Principals
- All what you need to know and carry to a TSC teacher recruitment interview
- TSC: Requirements, responsibilities and appointment of Deputy Principals
- Physical Location: ACK Gardens, 1st Ngong’ Avenue, Upperhill Nairobi
- Telephone : 020 5137400, 0723954927, 0734879662
- Email : [email protected]
- Postal Address: P. O. Box 105166 – 00101, Nairobi
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- The Centre/School application can only be submitted by the Principal not individual students. It is important that Principals/schools apply for student for placement to Universities or Colleges. The Principal can access the Placement Service Portal through: http://schools.kuccps.net/ or by visiting the Placement Service website: http://kuccps.net and clicking on the link marked Principal’s Portal.
- All schools/centers are supposed to create a new account, kindly click on ‘New Account’ link and fill in the relevant verification details to create the new account. This is done by entering: The school’s KNEC code and correct index numbers & last names of any two students/ candidates. Then click on submit.
- Next, create the user for the school who can either be the school’s Career teacher or Principal. The following details are required: First name, Last name, Email, Phone Number, User Name (TSC Number, ID Number or Passport Number) and role (Career Teacher or Principal). Create your Password and click on Submit. If Successful, a message thus; ‘Account Created: Your account has been created successfully. Please proceed to login,’ will be displayed.
- Now, Log onto your account by using your User Name (TSC Number, ID Number or Passport Number) and Password.
- Move to the ‘Applications’ tab. Fill in the School Location and Contact information. This include: The County, Sub County, Constituency, Ward, Division, Location and Sub Location. Click on ‘Submit’ once done.
- Click the ‘Application Template’ button. This will download the excel workbook where you will be expected to populate with the student’s choices. (7-digit Programme Codes NOT Programme Names).
- How to download the 2019 knec supervision, invigilation and centre manager invitation letters for the 2019 contracted professionals
- How to download the knec examiners’ invitation letters
Filing Students’ choices
a) Filling and saving the template
The student has 18 choices open to them,
- 6 Degree options (1a, 1b, 1c, 2, 3, 4)
- 4 Diploma options (1,2,3,4).
- 4 Craft Certificate options (1,2,3,4)
- 4 Artisan Certificate options (1,2,3,4).
The Student is allowed to apply for either any combination of or all levels, but they should be in the appropriate fields, i.e. no Diploma Codes in the Degree area or vice versa, these choices will be disregarded.
The student should only apply for programmes they will be comfortable pursuing if they are placed to them. No field is mandatory.
If a student will not be applying, do not enter anything in the fields, leave the choice cells
blank and only fill the contact details.
Choices 1a-1c should be the same programme in different institutions, in cases where the
programme only exists in one or two institution/s please enter only the one/s available and skip the other. Do NOT fill the gap with another unrelated option as it will be disregarded at upload.
Once the file is fully populated, save it as an Excel Workbook (.xlsx) any other format will be rejected.
b) Uploading the filled in template
On the portal, under application, click on ‘Upload Form’ and submit. Once uploaded, the system will generate a report on the same page, please ensure the details appearing there are correct, i.e. only the ones who paid and are making applications are marked, once you submit the form, you will not be able to change the students who will be allocated the funds.
Any programme codes highlighted in pink are erroneous and should be corrected. Once satisfied the report is representative of the intended upload, check the payment requirement and make the payment.
c) Paying for the Applicants
All payments are made via Mpesa Paybill for the whole amount for the number of applicants, the details are as detailed below:
Business Number: 820201
Account: 8-digit Center Code
Amount: (500*Number of Applicants).
Once you have paid enter the Mpesa transaction code in the field provided and ‘Apply’ the payment, this will assign the funds to the students with choices.
Click ‘Save Application’ to commit the choices.
Please note you will not be able to change allocation for student funds after saving, so be certain before submitting. Visit the Dashboard at any time to view the current application.
Once it is final, please go to the ‘Dashboard’ tab and click the ‘Application Report’ button to download the report in PDF for the Principal’s Signature and stamp for submission to KUCCPS.
Here are links to the most important news portals:
- KUCCPS News Portal
- TSC News Portal
- Universities and Colleges News Portal
- Helb News Porta
- KNEC News Portal
- KSSSA News Portal
- Schools News Portal
- Free Teaching Resources and Revision Materials
KUCCPS Requirements to join Tvet Institutions
To qualify for TVET programmes, one must meet these basic requirements: Must score;
|Level||KCSE Mean Grade|
|Diploma||C- (minus) and above|
|Craft Certificate||D (plain) and above|
|Artisan Certificate||D-(minus) and below|
The available programmes, institutions, minimum entry requirements and the application procedure are available on the KUCCPS Student’s Portal accessible through the Placement Service website www.kuccps.ac.ke.