The Higher Education Loans Board, HELB, provides loans to students in universities and colleges. You can now apply for the HELB loans using the new HELB App that is available on Google Play store.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS THE HELB SECOND AND SUBSEQUENT LOAN APPLICATION FORM FOR UNDERGRADUATES
Follow the steps below to apply for the HELB second and subsequent loans;
- Downloading the HELB app: To apply for the loans, first you will need to download the HELB app. This app is available on Play store at no cost.
- Open the app and register to generate a PIN. To register, ensure you use the Safaricom number that you use for MPesa and must be registered in your Name.
- Use the PIN to log in. Accept the licence agreement to proceed.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your first name (as it appears on your ID), ID number and valid Email address to complete the registration.
- Now, click on ‘Loans’ tab and choose undergraduate loans. Then, click “Apply” on the UG (Undergraduate) second and subsequent loan.
- Read and understand the financial literacy guide, answer the financial literacy questions. Scroll down to see your score/ results. Click ‘proceed’.
- In the next window, click ‘confirm’ to verify your telephone number by paying Sh1 to Mpesa. Pay only once.
- Read the loan agreement and click on ‘I agree’.
- To complete your application, click ‘submit’. A message will appear to show that you have successfully applied. The loan serial number will also be displayed on the success message.
- Wait for a response from HELB on the status of your loan.
For more queries,
- applicants are advised to visit the Helb website: www.helb.co.ke
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 0711052000
- Facebook Page
- Twitter: @HELBpage
- HELB LOANS, WEBSITE, PORTAL & SERVICES: Your ultimate guide on all requirements, application, disbursement and repayment of HELB Loans and Bursaries
- Helb- This is all you need to know concerning helb loans; application, processing, disbursement, repayment and clearance
- Guide to the HELB Mobile Short code used for loan repayment, application and Disbursement status
- Helb undergraduate loans latest news: Amount awarded, disbursement and requirements: Full details
- How to apply for HELB loan clearance, compliance certificate and refund; requirements and process
- How to apply for HELB Post Graduate Scholarships for Masters and PHD students: Plus Requirements
- Helb student loans; How to repay Helb loans via Mpesa, Bank Deposit, Wave, World Remit, Diaspora Payment methods
- Complete information about the Higher Education Loans Board, Helb; Loan applications and repayments
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE HELB UNDERGRADUATE FIRST-TIME LOAN.
You may be wondering how to apply for your HELB undergraduate first-time loan. Well, applying for this loan is easy and straight forward. Follow the steps below;
- Visit the official HELB portal at http://www.helb.co.ke to register.
- Read and completely fill the HELB Financial Literacy guide.
- Log into your account and click on the First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Link.
- Select and duly fill in the 2020-2021 First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Print two copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form under the print section.
- Take the form to the relevant authorities and guarantors for filling, stamping, and signing
- Sign your duly filled form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist on the last page of the Loan Application Form(LAF).
- Retain one copy of the duly filled LAF for reference – Mandatory!
- Present a single copy of the duly completed Loan Application Form and all the attached supporting documents to:
- HUDUMA Centers: Nairobi, Kakamega, Eldoret, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Embu, Machakos, Kisii, Bungoma, Turkana, Meru, Kitui, Kericho, Nandi – Kapsabet, Thika, Garissa and Kitale.
- The HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way in Nairobi.
Documents required for first time Undergraduate HELB loan applicants
You will be required to submit the following documents together with your HELB application form (enclose them in one envelope):
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
- Copies of the parents national ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ national ID Card
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
- One recent coloured passport size photograph of the applicant.
How much HELB Loan will you be awarded?
- The loan awarded to university undergraduate students ranges from a minimum of Sh40,000 to a high of Sh60,000.
- For those placed by Kenya University and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the loan amount is split to cater for both Tuition fee and Upkeep while the Self-sponsored students, the money is sent directly to the university once a year as tuition fees.
- A standard amount of Ksh4,000 for Government sponsored students only is deducted from the loan awarded and disbursed to the university per semester for tuition [total Ksh8,000] and the rest is sent to the applicant’s bank account as upkeep.
- An Administrative Fee of Ksh500 per year is charged on the loan awarded and it is therefore deducted from the disbursed loan.
- A limited number of needy government sponsored students receive bursary of between Ksh4,000 and Ksh8,000 per year. The Bursary is paid to the university.