These loans are for students joining public or private universities within the East African Community directly from high school either through the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) or as self-sponsored. Amounts awarded range between Kshs.40,000 minimum and Kshs.60,000 maximum based on the level of need. The loan attracts interest of 4% p.a and the students are required to repay their loans on completion of their studies. Students are advised to apply at least one month before the opening date to allow ample time for processing.
Type of Loan Application
There are two types of undergraduate loan applications:
- First Time Application- This is for applicants who are applying for the first time.
- Second and Subsequent Application- This is for applicants who are applying for a second, third, fourth time as per the program duration
The number of loans one is eligible for depends on the program duration i.e. one is given loan 4 times for a 4 year program.
Here are links to the most important news portals:
- KUCCPS News Portal
- TSC News Portal
- Universities and Colleges News Portal
- Helb News Porta
- KNEC News Portal
- KSSSA News Portal
- Schools News Portal
- Free Teaching Resources and Revision Materials Materials
Management of HELB Loans
Students are advised that the loans should be used mainly for:
- Books and stationery,
- Accommodation and subsistence.
Students are advised to desist from diverting the funds to leisure or other family obligations.
The loan awarded ranges from a minimum of Ksh.40, 000 and a maximum of Ksh.60, 000.
For those placed by Kenya University and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the loan amount is split to cater for both Tuition fee and Upkeep while the Self sponsored students, the money is sent directly to the university once a year as tuition fees.
A standard amount of Ksh4, 000 for Government sponsored students only is deducted from the loan awarded and disbursed to the university per semester for tuition [total Ksh8, 000] and the rest is sent to the applicant’s bank account as upkeep.
An Administrative Fee of Ksh500 per year is charged on the loan awarded and it is therefore deducted from the disbursed loan.
A limited number of needy government sponsored students receive bursary of between Ksh4, 000 and Ksh8, 000 per year. The Bursary is paid to the university.
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
- Copies of the parents national ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ national ID Card
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
- One recent colored passport size photograph of the applicant.
Repaying your Student Loan
Undergraduate loan repayment starts within one year of completion of studies or within such a period as the Board decides to recall the loan whichever is earlier. However, you can make voluntary payments before or after you complete your studies to reduce your loan balance.
- Loans are charged 4% interest per annum
- Loan repayment commences one year upon completion of studies or as deemed fit by HELB.
- The loan is repayable up to a maximum of 120 months.
Submission of Under Graduate Loan Application Forms