It is a sigh of relief for teachers seeking promotions after the Teachers Service Commission, TSC, decided to re-advertise 3,469 vacancies. In the new advert TSC has dropped the Master’s degree requirement that had barred many teachers from applying. This comes after spirited opposition from the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers, KUPPET.
TSC CEO Dr. Nancy Macharia said the requirements for promotion had been easened to allow teachers time to acquire the qualifications.
There was outrage among teachers after the Commission initially insisted that teachers holding administrative positions must have a Masters degree.
The re-advertised promotions are:
1. 369 positions for Principals in job group D3.
2. 451 positions for Headteachers in Job group C5.
3. 2,634 positions for Deputy headteachers in job group C4.
4. 185 Positions of secondary school Teacher I and II, senior masters, deputy principals, primary teacher I, senior teachers, deputy headteachers and headteachers
5. Secondary school Teacher I in grade C3.
Members of KUPPET will benefit since they serve under CPGs that IS part and parcel of 2017-2021 CBA.
Requirements for application and deadline
Applications from suitably qualified candidates should reach TSC by Friday 17th January, 2020.
Those who are seeking to fill the positions must be cleared from the following government agencies;
1. Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI)
2. Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
3. Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
4. Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
5. Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
Teachers under Career Progression Guidelines (CPGs) to benefit
Teachers who are serving under the career progression guidelines are likely to benefit from the re-advertised positions. This means teachers who are members of KNUT are likely to miss out, since they serve under Schemes of Service following the court ruling June this year.
Applications are to be done online. Check this site for guidelines.
Here is the TSC advert;