Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) Kakamega Campus is situated in Kakamega town, next to the Kakamega County Referral Hospital. The history of the Campus dates back to 1952 when it started training Enrolled Nurses.
27 years later, in 1979, the training of Environmental Health Sciences was also inaugurated. The faculty of Medical Laboratory Technology, now Medical Laboratory Sciences, was introduced in 1981.
All the three programmes offered certificate courses until 1994 when Medical Laboratory Sciences started a diploma course, followed by nursing in 2000. Environmental Health Sciences introduced in-service diploma course in September 2001. In September 2005, Nursing started upgrading of Enrolled Nurses to diploma level, in addition to the three progammes.
Programmes and Courses currently offered: –
- Certificate in Environment Health Sciences
- Diploma in Environment Health Sciences
- Diploma in Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing
- Diploma in Kenya Registered Nursing and Midwifery.
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery.
The Campus is located next to Kakamega County Referral Hospital, which is among the approved hospitals for practical lessons of students pursuing medical courses and for their internship.
We have highly skilled and experienced lecturers who are always ready to help students meet their objectives both in Campus and in their careers. Our library and computer lab are well-stocked with books, computers and internet to help our students conduct research. We have installed wi-fi hotspots in different corners of our campus that run for 24 hours. In addition, we offer free computer lessons to all new students.
Residing in KMTC Kakamega Campus is about more than just having a place to stay: it’s about finding a place to live. Those who choose to be residents enjoy our modern accommodation facilities, available to a limited number of students. Our hostels offer a unique on-campus experience featuring apartment-style housing located close to the Campus academic buildings and the main clinical site.
Population of students
Currently the Campus has a student population of 750.
Clinical Experience Sites
Kakamega County Referral Hospital provides the main clinical experience site for our students.
Clubs, Societies and Sports
The Campus participates in different sporting activities such as football, athletics, netball and basketball. We compete in the zonal, regional and national sports.
The available clubs include: Catholic Action, Christian Union and Muslim Group among others.
Campus Contact information: –
KMTC Kakamega Campus
P.O Box 535-50100
Email: [email protected]
Full list of all Courses offered at KMTC (See minimum entry requirements)
1. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Diploma and Higher
2. Medical Laboratory Sciences (Diploma and Higher
3. Orthopaedic and Trauma Medicine (Certificate
4. Community Oral Health (Diploma)
5. Medical Imaging Sciences (Diploma and Higher
6. Medical Education (Higher Diploma)
7. Health Records and Information Technology
(Certificate and Diploma)
8. Pharmacy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
9. Dental Technology (Diploma)
10. Nursing (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
11. Public Health (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
12. Nutrition and Dietetics (Certificate and Diploma)
13. Occupational Therapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
14. Health Promotion (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
15. Orthopaedic Technology (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
16. Optometry (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
17. Physiotherapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
18. Medical Engineering (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
19. Short Courses
How to Apply for KMTC Courses 2021/2022
We welcome your application
Thank you for your interest in the Kenya Medical Training College. We are happy that you are looking closely at the exciting opportunities available here in KMTC.
KMTC seeks to enrol and graduate applicants who will develop and grow educationally and personally and will contribute to the College community, and the broader society.
To that end, the role of the Admissions and Records Office is to recruit, admit, and encourage enrolment of applicants who are spiritually mature, academically excellent, accomplished in extra-curricular endeavours, and broadly diverse through individualized review and professional judgment.
All applications are ONLINE from the application portal on this website www.kmtc.ac.ke.
The prospective candidates apply for admission into courses for each academic year for Regular or Parallel Category.
The Regular category have subsidized fee with optional accommodation but no choice for campus while the parallel category have non subsidized fee, no accommodation option but have option for campuses choice in more than sixty five (65) campuses situated in different parts of the country depending on the courses.
- Prospective candidates are expected to visit the applicants’ portal, read the advertisement to know the various courses and their specific entry requirements.
- Candidates interested in making an application are advised to READ the application guidelines (preservice/Inservice) available on the application portal
- Candidates are advised to follow the steps carefully given in the application guideline to the end to be sure of application success.
- Take note that the application period has timelines as stipulated on the advertisement please observe them