The history of KMTC Nyeri Campus dates back to 1947 when, as part of Nyeri County Referral Hospital, then Nyeri Provincial General Hospital, the Campus opened its doors to its first students as an Enrolled Nursing school.
In 1975, the Campus admitted the first Enrolled Community Health Nursing students while in 1995, the first Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing course commenced at the Campus.
Nine years later in 2004, the Campus began offering an upgrading course in Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing.
Programmes and Courses currently offered: –
- Diploma in Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing.
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery
- Diploma in Pharmacy
- Diploma in Medical Imaging Sciences
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Diploma in Environmental Health Sciences
The Campus plans to mount the following courses by 2022;
- Diploma in Orthopaedics and Trauma Medicine
- Diploma in Environmental Health Sciences upgrading course: Distance learning Mode
- Family Medicine
- Family Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing (HND)
- Anaesthesia in Clinical Medicine ( HND)
- Certificate in Environmental Health Sciences: 2 Years
- Enrolled Community Health Nursing (Upgrading) Distance learning mode
- Certificate in Orthopaedic and Trauma medicine
- Medical laboratory Sciences- Phlebotomy
- HIV Training Services
- A new tuition block housing the library, two laboratories and a skills laboratory is almost complete.
- A new state-of-the-art modern library offers a conducive environment for learning and research work for both students and staff members. Its E-learning section, will enable students and staff members access internet, digital learning materials and online books.
- A well-equipped ICT laboratory with a fast internet connectivity and Wi-Fi allows internet access for mobile devices to assist students and lecturers do their online research.
- The top-of-the-range ultrasound machine is a necessity for the learning of Medical Imaging Sciences, which is one of the courses offered at Nyeri Campus.
Currently the campus has a population of 920 students.
Clinical experience sites
Nyeri County Teaching and Referral Hospital is our main area of clinical teaching for our students. Other practical/clinical areas of learning within the County include:
- Othaya Sub County Hospital
- Karatina Sub County Hospital
- Mukurweini Sub County Hospital
- Consolata Mathari Hospital
- Outspan Hospital
- Narumoru Health Center
- Warazo Health Center
- Gichiche Health Center
- Wamagana Health Center
- Nyeri Town Health Center
Clubs, Societies and Sports
Our students participate in recreational activities during their free time. These include the following:
- Rotaract Club
- Drama club
- Presidential Award Club
The following sports are also on offer at the Campus:
- Table tennis
- Basket ball
Campus contact information:
KMTC NYERI CAMPUS
P.O. BOX 466 – 10100
Email: [email protected]
Full list of all Courses offered at KMTC (See minimum entry requirements)
1. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Diploma and Higher
2. Medical Laboratory Sciences (Diploma and Higher
3. Orthopaedic and Trauma Medicine (Certificate
4. Community Oral Health (Diploma)
5. Medical Imaging Sciences (Diploma and Higher
6. Medical Education (Higher Diploma)
7. Health Records and Information Technology
(Certificate and Diploma)
8. Pharmacy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
9. Dental Technology (Diploma)
10. Nursing (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
11. Public Health (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
12. Nutrition and Dietetics (Certificate and Diploma)
13. Occupational Therapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
14. Health Promotion (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
15. Orthopaedic Technology (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
16. Optometry (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
17. Physiotherapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
18. Medical Engineering (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
19. Short Courses
How to Apply for KMTC Courses 2021/2022
We welcome your application
Thank you for your interest in the Kenya Medical Training College. We are happy that you are looking closely at the exciting opportunities available here in KMTC.
KMTC seeks to enrol and graduate applicants who will develop and grow educationally and personally and will contribute to the College community, and the broader society.
To that end, the role of the Admissions and Records Office is to recruit, admit, and encourage enrolment of applicants who are spiritually mature, academically excellent, accomplished in extra-curricular endeavours, and broadly diverse through individualized review and professional judgment.
All applications are ONLINE from the application portal on this website www.kmtc.ac.ke.
The prospective candidates apply for admission into courses for each academic year for Regular or Parallel Category.
The Regular category have subsidized fee with optional accommodation but no choice for campus while the parallel category have non subsidized fee, no accommodation option but have option for campuses choice in more than sixty five (65) campuses situated in different parts of the country depending on the courses.
- Prospective candidates are expected to visit the applicants’ portal, read the advertisement to know the various courses and their specific entry requirements.
- Candidates interested in making an application are advised to READ the application guidelines (preservice/Inservice) available on the application portal
- Candidates are advised to follow the steps carefully given in the application guideline to the end to be sure of application success.
- Take note that the application period has timelines as stipulated on the advertisement please observe them