KMTC Rachuonyo Campus is a community initiative championed by the then Kasipul Constituency member of parliament, supported by the KMTC Board of Directors and Homabay County Government. It was officially opened in March 2016.
The Campus is situated on a two-acre land curved out of Rachuonyo Sub County Hospital which is located behind Rachuonyo Sub County Hospital along Oyugis – Kendu Bay road.
The Campus was started as a result of shortage of health personnel to serve the public in health facilities. In 2013, there were no qualified nurses in the Constituency to be employed by the County Government to offer medical services, hence the community thought it wise to have a local College that would train nurses and other medical staff to meet their health needs.
The Campus structures were curved out of the Rachuonyo Sub County Hospital and an additional tuition block was built in 2017 consisting of four lecture halls. This was done by the National Government – Constituency Development Fund (Kasipul Constituency) under the leadership of the then MP Hon. Oyugi Magwanga.
The first batch of 75 students were admitted in May 2016 with a total population of 75 students pursuing Certificate in Health Records and Information Technology. Diploma in Health Promotion was started in September 2016 while upgrading of Health Records and Information Technology started in September 2018.
In line with the attainment of Universal Health Coverage, the Campus started Certificate in Community Health Assistant in March 2019.
Programmes and Courses currently offered: –
- Certificate in Health Records and Information Technology
- Upgrading of Health Records and Information Technology
- Certificate on Community Health Assistant
- Diploma in Health Promotion
- There are plans to acquire administration block which is currently occupied by Rachuonyo Sub – county Hospital administration.
- There are additional seven rooms leased to the Campus by Homabay County at Kosele Sub – County.
- Well-equipped computer laboratory.
- Well-equipped Skills lab for learners to practice.
- Ablution block
Current student population is at 248 with this number expected to increase.
Clinical experience sites
The primary health facility for training is Rachuonyo level 4 Hospital in Homabay County.
Other clinical areas include: –
- Homabay County Referral Hospital
- Kisumu County Referral Hospital
- Mombasa County Referral Hospital
- Bomet County Referral Hospital
- Malindi County Referral Hospital
- Kakamega County Referral Hospital
- Vihiga County Referral Hospital
- Siaya County Referral Hospital
- Kisii County Referral Hospital
- Nyamira County Referral Hospital
- Mbagathi Hospital
- Mathari Hospital
Clubs, Societies and Sports
Students participate in various sports activities, clubs and societies.
Campus contact information: –
KMTC Rachuonyo Campus
P O BOX 148 – 40222
Email: [email protected]
Full list of all Courses offered at KMTC (See minimum entry requirements)
1. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Diploma and Higher
2. Medical Laboratory Sciences (Diploma and Higher
3. Orthopaedic and Trauma Medicine (Certificate
4. Community Oral Health (Diploma)
5. Medical Imaging Sciences (Diploma and Higher
6. Medical Education (Higher Diploma)
7. Health Records and Information Technology
(Certificate and Diploma)
8. Pharmacy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
9. Dental Technology (Diploma)
10. Nursing (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
11. Public Health (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
12. Nutrition and Dietetics (Certificate and Diploma)
13. Occupational Therapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
14. Health Promotion (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
15. Orthopaedic Technology (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
16. Optometry (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
17. Physiotherapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
18. Medical Engineering (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
19. Short Courses
How to Apply for KMTC Courses 2021/2022
We welcome your application
Thank you for your interest in the Kenya Medical Training College. We are happy that you are looking closely at the exciting opportunities available here in KMTC.
KMTC seeks to enrol and graduate applicants who will develop and grow educationally and personally and will contribute to the College community, and the broader society.
To that end, the role of the Admissions and Records Office is to recruit, admit, and encourage enrolment of applicants who are spiritually mature, academically excellent, accomplished in extra-curricular endeavours, and broadly diverse through individualized review and professional judgment.
All applications are ONLINE from the application portal on this website www.kmtc.ac.ke.
The prospective candidates apply for admission into courses for each academic year for Regular or Parallel Category.
The Regular category have subsidized fee with optional accommodation but no choice for campus while the parallel category have non subsidized fee, no accommodation option but have option for campuses choice in more than sixty five (65) campuses situated in different parts of the country depending on the courses.
- Prospective candidates are expected to visit the applicants’ portal, read the advertisement to know the various courses and their specific entry requirements.
- Candidates interested in making an application are advised to READ the application guidelines (preservice/Inservice) available on the application portal
- Candidates are advised to follow the steps carefully given in the application guideline to the end to be sure of application success.
- Take note that the application period has timelines as stipulated on the advertisement please observe them