Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) Thika Campus is adjacent to Thika Level 5 Hospital within Thika Sub County in Kiambu County. The Campus was started in 1969 with 30 students undertaking a certificate course in Enrolled Community Nursing with the support from the Norwegian Government.
The Campus was built to train community health nurses at the enrolled level, giving training a comprehensive theoretical and practical training in general nursing, midwifery and public health. The graduates were to serve in Kenya’s rural health facilities established after independence.
The first group of students were admitted in June 1969 and officially opened by the first President of the republic of Kenya H.E Mzee Jomo Kenyatta on 16th November 1969.
It was run by personnel from Norway between 1966-1973 who included a Director and three tutors. Three Kenyan Nurses (clinical instructors) were appointed together with the Norwegian personnel. The first class had 35 students but subsequent intakes increased to between 40-50 students yearly.
Up to 1980, only female students were admitted and were accommodated in the former Director’s house that was modified for the purpose. In 1990, the Nursing Council introduced a competent based curriculum and the intake was reduced to 35 students a year, with the course taking two and a half years to complete.
In 1998 another programme, Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing (an Upgrading Course) was started. In March, 2005 the Campus begun a Kenya Registered Community Health Nursing course in clinical Medicine. In March 2014 Nutrition and Dietetics programme was started at certificate level and in September 2016 upgrading students were enrolled.
Since 2017 it has embarked on aggressive expansion programme to a multi faculty training Campus.
Programmes and Courses currently offered: –
- Certificate in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Certificate in Orthopedic Plaster Technology
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine & Surgery
- Diploma in Community Health Nursing
- Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Diploma in Orthopedics.
- Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics (Upgrading)
- Higher Diploma in Anaesthesia
- Higher Diploma Critical Care Nursing
Short Courses currently offered: –
- Infection Prevention & Control
- HIV Training & Counseling Services
- Nutrition in Critical Care for Health Profession Integrated Approach
The Campus plans to introduce new programmes by September 2019 which include:
- Higher Diploma in Geriatric Nursing.
- Higher Diploma in Family Medicine.
- Higher Diploma in Clinical Medicine Reproductive Health.
Short courses to be introduced:
- Infection prevention and control
- Nutrition in critical care
- HIV testing and counselling
- Fully-equipped Skills Laboratory – where students undertake their practice using mannequins and simulated patients to master their skills before they are exposed to real patients in clinical sites.
- Administration offices are fully equipped with latest technologies for teaching and learning.
- Computer laboratory – with fully equipped modern Computers and internet connectivity.
- Well-stocked library with latest books.
- Hostels with constant water and electricity supply within the compound.
- Dining Hall which offers cafeteria services with quality meals at affordable prices and is operational even during weekends.
- Transport – there is a bus that transports students and staff for practical’s and other official duties.
Currently the students’ population is 840.
Clinical Experience Sites
The students use Thika Level 5 Referral Hospital which is less than 20 metres from the Campus and Rural Health facilities within and outside the Kiambu County for their clinical experience.
Clubs, societies and societies
Sporting activities are available and our students participate from Zonal to National levels of KMTC sports competitions. The Campus has won several awards in ball games and athletics.
Societies in the Campus include the following:
- Christian union (C.U)
- Young Christians Society (YCS)
- Environmental Club
- Student Representative Council
Campus contact information: –
KMTC Thika Campus
P.O. Box 729-0100
Email: [email protected]
Full list of all Courses offered at KMTC (See minimum entry requirements)
1. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Diploma and Higher
2. Medical Laboratory Sciences (Diploma and Higher
3. Orthopaedic and Trauma Medicine (Certificate
4. Community Oral Health (Diploma)
5. Medical Imaging Sciences (Diploma and Higher
6. Medical Education (Higher Diploma)
7. Health Records and Information Technology
(Certificate and Diploma)
8. Pharmacy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
9. Dental Technology (Diploma)
10. Nursing (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
11. Public Health (Certificate, Diploma and Higher Diploma)
12. Nutrition and Dietetics (Certificate and Diploma)
13. Occupational Therapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
14. Health Promotion (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
15. Orthopaedic Technology (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
16. Optometry (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
17. Physiotherapy (Diploma and Higher Diploma)
18. Medical Engineering (Certificate, Diploma and Higher
19. Short Courses
How to Apply for KMTC Courses 2021/2022
We welcome your application
Thank you for your interest in the Kenya Medical Training College. We are happy that you are looking closely at the exciting opportunities available here in KMTC.
KMTC seeks to enrol and graduate applicants who will develop and grow educationally and personally and will contribute to the College community, and the broader society.
To that end, the role of the Admissions and Records Office is to recruit, admit, and encourage enrolment of applicants who are spiritually mature, academically excellent, accomplished in extra-curricular endeavours, and broadly diverse through individualized review and professional judgment.
All applications are ONLINE from the application portal on this website www.kmtc.ac.ke.
The prospective candidates apply for admission into courses for each academic year for Regular or Parallel Category.
The Regular category have subsidized fee with optional accommodation but no choice for campus while the parallel category have non subsidized fee, no accommodation option but have option for campuses choice in more than sixty five (65) campuses situated in different parts of the country depending on the courses.
- Prospective candidates are expected to visit the applicants’ portal, read the advertisement to know the various courses and their specific entry requirements.
- Candidates interested in making an application are advised to READ the application guidelines (preservice/Inservice) available on the application portal
- Candidates are advised to follow the steps carefully given in the application guideline to the end to be sure of application success.
- Take note that the application period has timelines as stipulated on the advertisement please observe them