The Teachers Service Commission, TSC, has been asked to stop employing teachers on internship. The National Assembly Education Committee wants the Commission to put a break on the internship programme and focus on employing teachers on permanent and pensionable terms.
While appearing before the Committee on Wednesday January 19, 2020, TSC boss Dr. Nancy Macharia said the Commission is seeking to recruit an additional 10,000 teacher interns this year. Macharia was quick to defend the move saying their budgetary allocation from the National Treasury is stifled making it difficult for the Commission to employ teachers on permanent basis.
Here are links to the most important news portals:
- KUCCPS News Portal
- TSC News Portal
- Universities and Colleges News Portal
- Helb News Porta
- KNEC News Portal
- KSSSA News Portal
- Schools News Portal
- Free Teaching Resources and Revision Materials
According to Dr. Macharia, TSC has only 2 billion shillings for recruitment against a budget of 15.4bn Shillings.
Macharia said the Commission will also recruit 5,000 teachers on permanent and pensionable terms this year to close the teething staffing gaps; more in secondary schools. She said the 100% transition policy has overstretched the teaching work force in the country hence need for additional teachers. The TSC boss appeared before the Committee to present the Commission’s budget for the 2020/2021 financial year.
TSC kicked off the internship programme in 2019 with about 10,000 teachers enrolled on the program. An intern teacher in secondary school earns Sh15,000 per month while their primary schools’ counterparts pocket Sh10,000 per month.
A COLLATION OF ALL YOUR KUCCPS RELATED NEWS
- Course Selection and Career Guide for all students
- A Guide to all education Arts Courses: Requirements, Subject Combinations and Institutions
- Your Guide to all Education (Science) Courses: Requirements, Available Subject Combinations and Institutions offering the Course.
- Your Ultimate Guide to the KUCCPS First Revision of Courses by the 2019 KCSE Candidates.
- New minimum requirements and universities offering Education Degree Courses
- KUCCPS Guide to inter Institution (University) Transfers
- 2020-2021 new degree choices, programme codes and courses cut off points: kuccps news