NHIF Registration – Simplified Guide
All Kenyans above 18 years are eligible to register for NHIF membership. One can apply for a single membership or family membership which allows them to include their declared spouse and children below 18. NHIF also doesn’t check for pre-existing conditions.
NHIF Registration Process
Self-employed members can register online. Alternatively, they can visit any of the nearest NHIF offices or Huduma Centres countrywide with the following documents:
- A copy of ID
- A colored passport sized photo
- A copy of spouse’s ID if applying for a family cover
- Sworn affidavit or marriage certificate if adding a spouse
- Copy of birth certificates (or birth notification for children below 6 months) if one is adding children
- Colored passport sized photo of spouse and children
- Kshs 1,500 as payment for first registration which will cover one for three months. Afterwards, one is required to pay KES 500 monthly to avoid penalties.
Employed persons can also register online and sending their to their employers for monthly remittance or go physically to any of our offices or Huduma Centres countrywide with an introduction letter from the employer or with the registration form stamped by the employer.
Access of NHIF Services
It takes 60 days for self-employed persons to access services and 30days for those in formal employment.
Processing and issuing of membership cards is done within a period of 14 working days if all documents are provided. If you have not received your NHIF card after the 14 days elapse visit any of our offices or Huduma Centres countrywide and get your card printed. Make sure your payments are up to date.
You can replace your card at any of the NHIF Branches or Huduma Centers countrywide. Replacement fees is KES 100/- paid to KCB, Equity, Cooperative or National Bank. Kindly note that NHIF does not collect cash from any of their branches.