The marking exercise for this year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, KCSE, has been thrown into jeopardy after examiners for one of the papers downed tools. The examiners for Businness Studies Paper 2 is yet to kick off at Machakos girls after examiners downed their tools citing poor pay. They have hardly touched any paper despite the fact they reported to the Centre over the weekend.
“We want atleast Sh68 per papers,” the examiners said amid chants of ‘Comrades Power’ on Monday evening. The examiners were allegedly told to clear from the marking centre by 6.00am; Tuesday. But, they vowed to stay put until their fares are reimbursed. “Tomorrow, we will be here; taking tea. And then they will refund us our transport. Before they refund us our transport, nothing will take place,” the charged examiners were heard chanting.
Attempts by the Kenya National Examinations Council boss Dr. Mercy Karogo to calm the situation were met by spirited resistance from the examiners. The angry examiners booed her off the stage when she tried to address them on Monday.
The KNEC boss was reportedly holed up in tensed meeting on Monday evening with senior examiners and her junior Secretariat staff (at the marking centre) in a bid to avert the crisis. This standoff is threatening to delay the release of this year’s KCSE results.
No truce had been reached between the examiners and the exams council; by close of business on Monday.
- All TSC services online portals and how to log in
- TSC TPAD data upload deadline
- Complete guide to the new TSC TPAD portal
- TSC: Full details on the newly established grades for teachers
- TSC: Designation codes for all teacher job groups
- TSC Grades and qualifications/ requirements for various administrative positions in schools
- TSC: Details on the current all 36 Teacher job groups/ grades
- TSC: Requirements, appointment and responsibilities of Principals
- All what you need to know and carry to a TSC teacher recruitment interview
- TSC: Requirements, responsibilities and appointment of Deputy Principals
Meanwhile, the Council is engaging over 26,000 examiners to mark this year’s Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) scripts. According to the Council the examiners include newly trained ones and the experienced lot. This number of examiners will be expected to mark the scripts and complete in good time; ahead of results release before Christmas.
- KNEC: How to download Contracted Professionals’ letters
- KNEC Contracted Professionals: How to check deployment station and other details
- KNEC: PTE, ECDE, SNE Latest registration instructions
- hKNEC Exam Administration: How to access, mark and print the Contracted Professionals’ attendance Register
- KNEC Exam results and Certificates: How to receive results and certificates from KNEC
- A link to all KNEC portals
- KNEC grading system for all subjects
- Identification, Nomination and selection of KNEC contracted Professionals
- Important information for teachers wishing to train as KNEC examiners
- KNEC: How to assign index numbers to KCPE, KCSE candidates
- How to download marking invitation letters for KNEC examiners