The P9 form(Tax deduction card) is a very important document that is used when filing individual income tax returns online.
Income tax is a direct tax that is imposed on income derived from Business, Employment, Rent, Dividends, Interests, Pensions among others. Individual Income Tax is charged for each year of income on all the income of a person and based on the Individual Tax Bands and Rates as formulated by the Kenya revenue Authority, KRA.
Join our growing community on Facebook. Click the link below;
OFFICIAL EDUCATION & TSC NEWS CENTRE FACEBOOK PAGE
The P9 form is generated by the employer i.e the Teachers Service Commission for all teachers working under the Commission. Every month, TSC deducts a given amount of money from a teacher’s earnings; this amount is called the income tax or simply Pay As You Earn (PAYE). This amount is reflected on a teacher’s payslip that can be accessed online and is indicated as PAYE Auto.
The good news for teachers is that it is the TSC that deducts this amount monthly and surrenders the same, directly, to the KRA. Thus, teachers are not faced with the burden of having to do this on a monthly basis; all by themselves.
Every employee is entitled to a monthly tax relief of Ksh. 16,896 per annum (Kshs.1,408 per month). People with disability are granted a tax exemption on their income for the first Kes. 150, 000 of their monthly income.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE P9 FORM
To get your P9 form follow the simplified steps below (Remember that you first have to register for Payslips online service):
- By using your phone or Computer, simply visit the T-pay online platform by using the address https://tpay.tsc.go.ke/
- Then, enter your TSC Number and Password. Click on Login.
- Now, on successful login, click on P9(s) and it will be displayed.
- You can print the P9 by clicking on ‘Print’ tab at the bottom of your P9.
- How to easily reset your KRA iTax PIN
- The TSC P9 form for teachers: How to download and use the P9 form in filing KRA tax returns
THE P9 FORM
Your P9 form has Bio data and seven columns thus;
- Tax- date: This is the first month of the monthly taxable income; for the whole financial year.
- Taxable Pay: This is your monthly taxable pay (Gross income; Basic Salary plus allowances).
- Pension: Monthly pay for retirees.
- Pay Auto: This is the total monthly deductible individual income tax.
- Unused MPR: This is any unutilized Monthly Personal Relief.
- MPR Value: Which is the Monthly Personal Relief that is entitled to all residents.
- Vote: This is the vote head under which the income tax is placed/ deducted by the employer.
Once armed with your P9 form you can now easily declare your individual income tax returns online. For a detailed but simplified guide on how to declare your returns online click here: How to file 2020 KRA returns online: Simplified procedure.
FOR A COMPLETE GUIDE TO ALL SCHOOLS IN KENYA CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW;
Here are links to the most important news portals: