Teacher Professional Development (TPD) Course At Mount Kenya University (MKU).
Mount Kenya University, MKU, is an accredited service provider by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) to implement the TPD programme in compliance with the Teacher Professional Development programme guidelines. MKU shall offer continuous training of the programme to the teachers and instructional leaders.
The Rationale and legal Frame work of TPD
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has a statutory mandate through the enactment of TSC Act Cap 212 section 11 (e) to facilitate professional development of teachers. The Commission, in its endeavor to achieve this objective, has developed a comprehensive Teacher Development Policy framework that spells out the seven (7) Kenya Professional Teaching Standards (KePTS) for both teachers and instructional leaders.
Target of the programme
The TPD program is designed to cover the primary and secondary school teachers and Instructional leaders in both public and private primary and secondary schools and teachers in colleges. Teacher Professional Development provides opportunities for teachers to explore new roles, develop new instructional and leadership techniques, refine their practice and broaden their outlook as educators and as individuals.
TPD Course Structure
1.0 Introductory module
This program will introduce teachers to Teacher Professional Development and to the Seven (7) Kenya Professional Teaching Standards (KePTS). The introductory module has five (5) chapters, which are expected to be completed within one year.
The content of each chapter is based on current knowledge and research applicable to the practical needs of a Kenyan classroom teacher. The content and activities are applicable to real-life situation of a practicing teacher, are self-directed and experiential.
They reflect a diversity of perspectives and address the knowledge, skills and attitudes required of a teacher in line with the TPD Policy Framework.
2.0 Six modules (Level 1-6)
After the introductory module, the teachers and the instructional leaders will then proceed to the level one module. There will be two different modules: One for the Teachers and the one for Instructional Leaders. Level One module will have 5 chapters. A teacher or an instructional leader will take one chapter per year for a period of 5 years but to a maximum of 7 years.
Level two to Level six modules will each take 5 years.
Mode of delivery
Blended mode consisting of face-to-face (On site) shall be done during school holidays and online learning where the teachers and instructional leaders shall access the online content any time anywhere via modern technologies.
MKU will use a combination of various interactive learning platforms that are technology-driven to deliver an awesome learner experience through self- paced learning. The University will use Microsoft teams for interactive video sessions, Question and answer sessions, breakout sessions, and short-recorded videos amongst other platforms on certain topics to guide the learner.
Support to Learners
- Training manuals
- Short and Personalized Videos
- Online training through Teams
- Online Ticketing and helpdesk
- Knowledge-based database,
- E-resources and library access.
MKU Mobile App
The APP will allow for easy application procedure and students onboarding process with the following features;
- Pay bill integration for easy application
- Registration process
- Integration with Sakai to allow access to resources
- Communication, Feedback and progress monitoring.
The assessment will be in the form of authentic assessment that will include self-assessment, portfolio, and journals among others. This will involve Preparation of Reflective Learning Journal, Organizing a final Synthesis Seminar and Preparation of Professional Teaching Portfolio. The 3 assignments will account for 60 per cent of a teacher’s annual TPD score. The rest 40 per cent will be obtained through TPAD process.
- Digital transcripts to be issued to students upon completion of a chapter and the same share with the Teachers Service Commission
- Certificates will be issued upon completion of a module.
The Teachers and the Instructional leaders shall invest an annual training fee of Kshs. Six thousand (6000) only.
Equity Bank- A/C no. 1550281262747
Account name: Mount Kenya University Teacher Professional Development.
Mount Kenya University
Centre for Professional Development
Tel: 0709153194 /0709153195
Email: [email protected]