Egerton University E-Campus
The new Egerton University’s lifelong learning strategy embraces the utilization of ICT to improve access to higher education and training through “a” learning. “a” here refers to anyplace, anytime and anywhere.
The “a” learning is the hallmark of e-learning.
This strategy is informed through Kenya’s national policy guidelines that support the need to shift the bulk of teaching and learning from the traditional face-to-face offering to e-learning.
The provisions of these policy guidelines are contained in Sessional Paper No.1 of 2005, Sessional Paper No. 14 of 2012 (the predecessor of the Universities Act, 2012), the Commission for University Education’s Standards for Open, Distance and E-Learning and the Egerton University Strategic Plan 2013-2018.
Egerton’s E-Campus offices are housed at the main Campus in Njoro. However, we are reachable via mail ([email protected]) and phone (073205523).
The Egerton University E-Campus launched its E-Learning programmes on February 19th, 2015 with five (5) pilot phase degree programmes. Since then, we have developed and uploaded five (5) undergraduate and six (6) postgraduate degree programmes on the E-Learning platform as follows:
a) E-learning Undergraduate Degree Programmes
- BSc in Community Development (BSc- CDEV)
- Bachelor of Psychology (B. Psych)
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Security Studies (BA- CRIM)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (Bsc-LINS)
- Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com)
b) E-learning Postgraduate Degree Programmes
- Master of Arts in Criminology and Criminal Justice (MA-CRIM)
- Master of Arts in Security Management (MA-SECU)
- Master of Science in Community Development and Extension (MSc-COSE)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Education in Educational Management (MEd-Mgt)
- Master of Arts in Gender Women & Development Studies (MA-GWDS)
We hope to add more degree courses onto our platform to cater for the need to include other disciplines on demand.
- Learner Support
The departments above work hand in hand to offer the required services
How it works
At our E-Campus, we strive to make learning as convenient as possible without infringing on the set standards. All the program’s content including review exercises are uploaded on a portal that when you are enrolled as a student, you can access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As a new student, upon admission, after a comprehensive orientation session at campus, you are given log in details that enable you to access the learning content, interact with other learners online as well as tutors. Regular assignments are submitted via the platform. The only item that is not offered online is the Continuous Assessment Tests (CAT) and the examination done at the end of the semester at designated centres that are communicated to the learners in advance.
It is important to note that for you to study through this mode, computer literacy is a basic requirement.
We have a system in place that manages the students studies. With the exception of exams, all other activities of the student are done via the system. The courses are uploaded to the system and any student who is enrolled to the system can access and do his studies there.
As a new student the following are the steps you follow to be an elearning student.
- Apply via the application portal for the program you wish to take.
- Upon qualification, you will be informed and a copy of your letter of offer will be sent to you.
- You will then be invited to an orientation at any of our centres.
- After orientation, you pay your fees and then you are enrolled to the courses in the program you applied