Is your school presenting candidates in project based examinations this year? Please note that the Kenya National Examinations Council, Knec, has opened its online platform for schools to capture the 2021 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, KCSE, project marks. The portal was opened in July, 2021.
The project instructions have also been posted on the Knec schools’ portal. Schools can now download the instructions.
Schools presenting candidates for group four subjects have up to the on 15th January 2022, to upload the projects’ scores and pictorial evidence for Milestone one (for most subjects). While, the deadline for uploading milestone 2 marks is on 31st January, 2022.
According to Knec instructions, the subject teachers are expected to upload candidates’ scores and pictorial evidence (portfolio) on the project portal; at the end of each milestone.
The Pictorial evidence should be photographs of the candidates with their work, in either Graphics Interface Format (.gif) or JPEG (.jpg) format (These two are photograph formats obtained by using a digital Camera).
In Agriculture, for instance, students will be photographed in their full school uniforms. They will be expected to stand alongside their plots, the Subject teacher and Principal.
Project based Kcse subjects
The 2021 KCSE Subjects whose scores are to be uploaded into the portal are:
Art and Design (442/3 2D Project,
Building Construction (446/2) and
Computer Studies (451/3).
The areas to be assessed have been indicated on the marking schemes; which can be downloaded from the Knec website.
HOW TO UPLOAD MILESTONE ONE SCORES AND PICTORIAL EVIDENCE
It is time to upload the Milestone 1 data. Do this now to avoid the last minute rush. Ensure you have collected the required data before logging into the system; Candidates’ scores and pictorial evidence.
To upload scores for each candidate and pictorial evidence for all the learners:
- Access the KNEC portal at knec-portal.ac.ke
- On the home page, click on ‘PROJECTS’
- Log onto the system by providing the User Name and Password (as used during the registration process)
- Select the subject for which you want to upload data and then click on ‘GET FILE’. This will display a list of all students registered for that particular subject.
- Enter the score for each candidate alongside their names in the column labelled ‘MARKS’. Click on ‘POST’ once through.
- Next, you will be expected to provide a photo of the project. Ensure a photograph of the students has been shot and stored in your local location (Phone or Computer memory). Observe the guidelines accompanying the shooting of the photographs like the format to be used.
- Now, click on ‘CHOOSE FILE’. Locate your photograph as stored on your storage and click on it; so as to be loaded onto the portal.
- Finally, Click on ‘SAVE AND PREVIEW’.
Note that if any student is missing on the online generated printout, then list such a student (s) manually on the printout with a red pen. The printout is generated by using the ‘REPORT’ tab once the scores have been entered.
It is important to note that you would not be able to enter/ edit milestone one marks once the period elapses.