HOW TO APPLY FOR THE HELB UNDERGRADUATE FIRST-TIME LOAN.
You may be wondering how to apply for your HELB undergraduate first-time loan. Well, applying for this loan is easy and straight forward. You are required to fill the helb loan application form online. Follow the steps below;
- Visit the official HELB portal at http://www.helb.co.ke to register.
- Read and completely fill the HELB Financial Literacy guide.
- Log into your account and click on the First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Link.
- Select and duly fill in the 2021-2022 First Time Undergraduate Loan Application Form (LAF).
- Print two copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form under the print section.
- Take the form to the relevant authorities and guarantors for filling, stamping, and signing
- Sign your duly filled form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist on the last page of the Loan Application Form(LAF).
- Retain one copy of the duly filled LAF for reference – Mandatory!
- Present a single copy of the duly completed Loan Application Form and all the attached supporting documents to:
- HUDUMA Centers: Nairobi, Kakamega, Eldoret, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Embu, Machakos, Kisii, Bungoma, Turkana, Meru, Kitui, Kericho, Nandi – Kapsabet, Thika, Garissa and Kitale.
- The HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way in Nairobi.
Documents required for first time Undergraduate HELB loan applicants
You will be required to submit the following documents together with your HELB application form (enclose them in one envelope):
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
- Copies of the parents national ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ national ID Card
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
- One recent coloured passport size photograph of the applicant.
How much HELB Loan will you be awarded?
- The loan awarded to university undergraduate students ranges from a minimum of Sh40,000 to a high of Sh60,000.
- For those placed by Kenya University and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the loan amount is split to cater for both Tuition fee and Upkeep while the Self-sponsored students, the money is sent directly to the university once a year as tuition fees.
- A standard amount of Ksh4,000 for Government sponsored students only is deducted from the loan awarded and disbursed to the university per semester for tuition [total Ksh8,000] and the rest is sent to the applicant’s bank account as upkeep.
- An Administrative Fee of Ksh500 per year is charged on the loan awarded and it is therefore deducted from the disbursed loan.
- A limited number of needy government sponsored students receive bursary of between Ksh4,000 and Ksh8,000 per year. The Bursary is paid to the university.
The First Time Loan Application is divided into the following categories.
INFORMATION ON PROFILE
This comprises of two sub categories as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant:- Personal Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out their personal information. Items such as Sub-location,Division,location etc should reflect information as per your National Identification Card. b) Applicant:- Residence Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out there current place of residence information. Items such as Sub-location,Division,location etc should reflect your current place of residence and not as indicated in your ID Card.
This comprises of three sub categories as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant :- Institution Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out their Institution details. b) Applicant :- Loan Information. Here you are required any information on your loan or bursary.
EDUCATION BACKGROUND DETAILS
This comprises of one category as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant :- Education Background Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out their education background details. Primary and Secondary School Details are compulsory. Failure to include this will lead to automatic disqualification
This comprises of two categories as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant :- Family Expenses In this section, an applicant is required to fill out the family’s expenses.
This comprises of one section as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant :- Guarantor’s Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out the guarantor’s details. It is compulsory to fill in two guarantors failure to do this will lead to automatic disqualification
This comprises of three category as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant :- Parents Marital Status In this section, an applicant is required to fill out their parent’s marital status. b) Applicant :- Parents Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out various details about their parent’s eg. employment. c) Applicant :- Guardian’s Details If the applicant is orphaned he/she will be required to fill in the gurantors’ details.
This comprises of one section as elaborated below.Please fill each section before proceeding to the next item. a) Applicant :- Bank Details In this section, an applicant is required to fill out the bank’s details. To get started off click on this link; https://portal.helb.co.ke/
TVET HELB LOANS
Students pursuing Diploma and Certificate courses in Public universities, university colleges, public national polytechnics and Institutes of Technology and Technical Training institutes country-wide are eligible for this loan and bursary. Orphans, single parent students and others who come from poor backgrounds will be given priority for the loans and or bursaries. The application period is January to April every year.
- Applications should access and fill the relevant TVET Loan & Bursary Application Form (TLAF).
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form.
- Have the TVET Loan Application Form signed and stamped by the Dean of Students/Financial Aid Officers.
- Retain one copy of the duly filled TLAF (Mandatory).
- Drop the TLAF personally at the HELB students Service Centre on the Mezannine One, Anniversary Towers or any of the SELECT Huduma Centers nearest to you.
Click HERE to download approved TVET institutions funded by HELB as at March 2019.
More Helb loan application details;
- Helb loan application Form 2021/ 2022; Downloading and using the HELB Mobile App
- HELB loans and bursaries for TVET students; 2021/2022 first time loan applications
- HELB Afya Elimu second and subsequent loan application 2021/2022; Second and subsequent
- HELB Loans and scholarships for all students; A detailed description
- HELB 2021/ 2022 undergraduate students’ second and subsequent loans- You can now apply
KENYA INSTITUTE OF MASS COMMUNICATION (KIMC) TRAINING REVOLVING FUND & HIGHER EDUCATION LOANS BOARD FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS FINANCIAL YEAR: 2021-2022
The Kenya Institute of Mass Communication (KIMC) in conjunction with the Higher Education Loans Board (Helb) invites applications for first time 2021/2022 Kenya Institute of Training Revolving Fund Loan. This loan is only available to students studying at the Kenya Institute of Mass Communication.
How to apply
- Applicants should visit the HELB website’s Student Portal https://studentportal.helb.co.ke/auth/signin to register, create and activate account (applicant should use own personal mobile number).
- Log in, and click Loan Application Tab, on the left dashboard. From the view window, eligible applicants should select the 2021-2022 Kenya Institute of Mass Communication Training Revolving Fund Loan Application Form.
- Read and appraise yourself on The Financial Literacy program.
- Access and fill the loan application form online.
- Ensure you preview the form and correct where necessary before submitting online.
- Print TWO copies of the filled Loan Application Form.
- Have the forms duly signed and stamped by the relevant authorities. The Guide is provided on the last page of the form.
- Read, understand and sign to accept the Loan Terms and Conditions and Data Protection Consent form.
- Present one copy of the duly filled Loan Application Form and all the attached support documents at:
a). Any of the following Huduma centers with HELB desk nearest to you: Nairobi-GPO, Machakos, Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret, Kisumu, Kakamega, Kisii, Nyeri, Embu, Kitui, Bungoma, Lodwar, Meru, Thika, Kitale, Kericho, Nandi, Murang’a, Garissa, Narok, Migori, Chuka, Kilifi, Taita Taveta, West Pokot, Bomet and Makueni for free and secure delivery, OR b).HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi, OR c). Send through registered and secured mail or courier.
Important notes for you.
- Read, understand, and follow the instructions provided at the beginning of the online loan application process.
- The KIMC Training Revolving Fund application is FREE.
- The first-time application forms are only accessible through the HELB student portal on www.helb.co.ke
- DO NOT PAY anyone to process your HELB loan application.
- In case of any queries, seek assistance ONLY from Kenya Institute of Mass Communication or HELB officers.
- Students who provide false information will be penalized as per the HELB Act.