The Ministry of Education has asked the 2020 KCPE candidates to revise their 2021 secondary school choices. Learners will have an opportunity of making necessary changes to Sub County (Day school) choices before sitting their KCPE exams in March this year.
“In order to enable the Ministry place all learners to secondary schools centrally, candidates must revise their subcounty schools choices (referred to day schools).” Reads a circular sent to all Sub County Directors of Education.
According to the Circular, the Kenya National Examination Council (Knec) has therefore made it possible for learners through their schools to revise the choices between 15th February, 2021 and 26th February, 2021.
This latest move has been informed by the recent disruptions caused by the Covid 19 pandemic and wgich may have led to migration of families to other areas as a result of job losses.
“Kindly advise all primary schools presenting candidates for KCPE that the choice of day schools will be based on the parents/guardians/area of residence.” The circular further says.
This is a departure from the past where candidates made choices from schools within sub counties where they sat for examinations. In essence day schools should be within commutable distance from their residence.
HOW TO REVISE SECONDARY SCHOOL CHOICES.
To revise the secondary school choices, follow the steps below;
- Visit the Kenya National Examinations Council, KNEC, website by using the web address; http://www.knec-portal.ac.ke
- Next, Click on Candidate registration. Log onto your schools’ system by entering the provided User Name and Password.
- On the next page, under the Register Candidates tab, select task to be Edit Existing Candidate (s) and click on Continue.
- Enter the last 3 digits of the candidate’s index number i.e 001 under the Index Number Box and click on Search. Details for the particular candidate will be displayed.
- Immediately under Secondary School Choices, select ‘ Click here to display choices if not loaded’. This will enable you to review the candidate’s choices.
- Enter the revised choices accordingly; 4 national schools, 3 extra county schools, 2 county and Sub county schools.
- Once satisfied with the choices, click on Submit. A success message will be displayed thus, ‘Successfully edited’.
- Repeat this for all the candidates whose school choices you want to alter.