Technical and Vocational Education Training, TVET, institutions over various certificate, diploma and craftsmanship training to students in Kenya. The beauty with TVET training institutions is that they offer flexible entry and fee requirements to students wishing to study in these institutes.
TVETs are registered, accredited and regulated by the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA); which is a public corporate agency established under the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Act No. 29 of 2013 to regulate and coordinate training in the country through licensing, registration and accreditation of programs, institutions and trainers.
Section 7 of the Act, 2013 gives the powers and functions of the Authority to regulate and coordinate training; inspect, license and register and accredit training institutions; accredit and inspect programmes and courses; promote access and relevance of training programmes; determine the national technical and vocational training objectives; assure quality and relevance in programmes of training among other functions.
How to get placement
To get a place at a TVET institution, one has to apply via the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS). The available programmes, institutions, minimum entry requirements and the application procedure are always available on the KUCCPS Student’s Portal accessible through the Placement Service website www.kuccps.ac.ke.
KUCCPS sets an application window within which the prospective students can submit their applications. The Entry requirement for all Diploma Courses is a C- and above; D (plain) and above for Certificate while other course categories are open.
The good news for students joining TVETs is that they can now apply for funding from the Higher Education Loans Board, HELB. They can now get Loans and Bursaries from HELB for their fees payment and upkeep.
AVAILABLE PROGRAMMES AT AHMED SHAHAME MWIDANI
ASMTTI is providing relevant employable technical and innovative industrial skills for job creation through self-employment.
It operates under the Education Act, TVET Act 2013 and offers curricular developed by Curriculum Development Assessment and Certification Council (CDACC), Kenya Institute of curriculum development (KICD), National Industrial Training Authority, KASNEB, among others.
The college is located in Mombasa County Changamwe, Sub-County. ASMTTI offers courses at Artisan, Craft and Diploma levels, plus a variety of short-courses in the part-time program. ASMTTI is a member of the Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions (KATTI) and CAPA amongst others. Ahmed S. Mwidani Technical Training Institute started its operations in September 2017.
AHMED SHAHAME MWIDANI TECHNICAL TRAINING INSTITUTE KUCCPS APPROVED PROGRAMMES
|S/N||PROGRAMME CODE||PROGRAMME NAME||2019 CUTOFF||2018 CUTOFF||2017 CUTOFF||2016 CUTOFF||2015 CUTOFF|
|1||1615552||DIPLOMA IN SOCIAL WORK AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT||–||–||–||–||–|
|2||1615601||DIPLOMA IN ACCOUNTING & FINANCE||–||–||–||–||–|
|3||1615740||DIPLOMA IN MECHATRONIC ENGINEERING||–||–||–||–||–|
|4||1615746||DIPLOMA IN IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT||–||–||–||–||–|
|5||1615751||DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT||–||–||–||–||–|
|6||1615758||DIPLOMA IN INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY||–||–||–||–||–|
|7||1615769||CRAFT IN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING||–||–||–||–||–|
|8||1615777||CERTIFICATE IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT||–||–||–||–||–|
|9||1615840||CERTIFICATE IN ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY||–||–||–||–||–|
|10||1615889||CERTIFICATE IN INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY||–||–||–||–||–|
|11||1615917||DIPLOMA IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING (POWER)||–||–||–||–||–|
|12||1615920||CRAFT IN MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING||–||–||–||–||–|
|13||1615954||CERTIFICATE IN SOCIAL WORK||–||–||–||–||–|
|14||1615957||CERTIFICATE IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT||–||–||–||–||–|
Contacts for Ahmed Shahame Mwidani Technical Training Institute
- P.O. BOX 93800-80102 MOMBASA
- Email: [email protected] | [email protected] ahmedmwidanitvc.ac.ke
- Phone: +254 739209337 | +254746748481
HOW TO APPLY FOR TVET BURSARIES FROM HELB
Students pursuing Diploma and Certificate courses in Public universities, university colleges, public national polytechnics and Institutes of Technology and Technical Training institutes country-wide are eligible for this loan and bursary from HELB. Orphans, single parent students and others who come from poor backgrounds will be given priority for the loans and or bursaries.
- Applicants should access and fill the relevant TVET Loan & Bursary Application Form (TLAF) at the HELB website.
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form.
- Have the TVET Loan Application Form signed and stamped by the Dean of Students/Financial Aid Officers.
- Retain one copy of the duly filled TLAF (Mandatory).
- Drop the TLAF personally at the HELB students Service Centre on the Mezannine One, Anniversary Towers or any of the SELECT Huduma Centers nearest to you.
TVET Institution Application
The TVET Authority accredits institutions and approves managers of institutions and new programmes.
- Undertake a business name search from the Registrar of companies via Ecitizen
- Obtain a “letter of no objection” on suitability of the name from TVETA
In order to obtain the letter of no objection, present;
- Reserved business name search
- Invoice for the name search
- Copy of KRA Pin for the Director(s)
- Copy of ID for the Director(s)
- Dully filled and signed BN2 form (Click here to Download)
3. Register the Business name with the office of the Registrar of Companies
4. Download the TVETA application Forms for accreditation of institution, manager, Trainer, approval of programs, foreign institution and checklist here.
5. Submit complete application documents to TVETA offices located at Utalii House 8th Floor.
6. An accreditation officer will check the documents and compute the amount to be paid. (TVETA Gazetted Fees)
7. You will then be required to pay the amount through MPESA or TVETA bank account below.
|MPESA Payment||TVETA Bank Account|
|1. Go to the MPESA menu,
2. Select payment services
3. Choose Pay Bill option
4. Enter 894135 as the business number
5. Enter your full name as the account number
6. Enter the amount
7. Enter your pin and press Ok
|A/C Name: Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority
A/C No.: 1212502450
Bank: Kenya Commercial Bank
Branch: Kipande House
After making payment the applicant will complete a registration form in duplicate as evidence of having submitted their application. An acknowledgement letter will then be sent to the applicant.
Inspection and Assessment
1.The institution will be scheduled for inspection and a Team of assessors will visit and inspect the institution for compliance with set standards. Download the assessment tool here
2.The assessors will prepare an inspection report which will be presented to TVETA Board
Registration and Licensing
1. Resolution of the Board based on evaluation of the inspection report shall be;
i. Approve Registration and Licensing of the institution
ii. Reject the application
iii. Request the Institution to improve within a period of six months
2. The applicant is notified on results of the TVETA Board resolution within 3 months from the date of submission of a fully compliant application documents
3. TVETA will issue training License to qualified institutions and maintain a register of the institutions and programs approved.
TVETA will maintain a register of;
i. Registered and licensed institutions
ii. Ongoing registrations
iii. Institutions recommended for improvement
At this point, the accreditation process is complete, and an institution will be issued with a registration certificate and training license.