Under the Teachers Service Commission, TSC, scheme of service a teacher is entitled for a transfer after finishing the mandatory five (5) years or due to any other special condition. The transfer must though be ratified by the Commission.
The Teachers service Commission, TSC, may transfer a teacher from one teaching station institution to another based on:
- the need for equitable distribution and optimal utilization of teachers
- availability of a teaching vacancy in the proposed station.
- the need for replacement
- existing staffing norms which may be reviewed from time to time
- medical grounds, as certified by a registered medical practitioner
- any other grounds that the TSC may consider necessary to warrant the transfer.
When and How can a teacher get transferred?
A teacher may be transferred under the following circumstances:
- After a study leave: A teacher granted a study leave exceeding six months shall apply for posting by the Commission at least thirty days before the expiry of the study leave.
- After a leave granted to spouses of persons in diplomatic service: A spouse of a person in diplomatic mission/ service shall apply to the commission for posting one month before the end of assignment of duty.
- After a disciplinary action like interdiction or suspension for a period not exceeding six months without payment of salaries and allowances.
- After a transfer of service to the public service commission: The TSC may, Where a person applies for a transfer of service from the public commission to the TSC, approve the transfer subject to availability of a vacancy.
- After expiry of tenure at a trade union like the Kenya National Union of Teachers, KNUT, and Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers, KUPPET.
- After a substantive appointment: A teacher who is promoted and substantive appointed will be redeployed/ transferred to another station, subject to availability of such substantive posts like: Headship, Deputy Headship and Senior masters.
- After posting from a primary to a secondary institution.
- After applying to the commission for a transfer on medical grounds, with supportive evidence.
- When working conditions are hostile and may jeopardize the teacher’s well being and security.
- If there is need for equitable distribution and optimal utilization of teachers.
- On an agreeable and tenable swoop request to the TSC.
For the transfer to be considered, the teacher must apply for the transfer by filling the ‘APPLICATION FOR TRANSFER’ form. The data filled onto this form include:
1). The teacher’s full name
2). TSC Number
3). Mobile phone number,
5). Teaching subjects
6). Current Grade/ Job group
7). Current station, Sub- county, County
8). Length of stay at both the current station and Sub- County
9). Present assignment/ responsibility
10). Institution to which transfer is requested for, sub county and county
11). When the transfer is required.
12). Reasons for the transfer/ Why the transfer is required.
13). The Head of institution’s recommendation.
14). Recommendation by the TSC Sub County Director
The applicant must fill three copies of the transfer form and dispatch them as follows:
1). Original copy to the TSC head quarters
2). A copy to the TSC County Director/ Staffing Officer
3). Retain the second copy.
Please, only proceed to your new station after you receive a letter of transfer from the Commission/ TSC County Director/ Staffing Officer.